Yazep Drozdovich. "An evening in the desert on Mars. Martians-stonemasons in the marble deserts of the country of Libya-Hesperia". 1932. Canvas, oil. National Art Museum of the Republic of Belarus.
ICOM Belarus is the public association «Belarusian Committee of the International Council of Museums "ICOM"», created on the basis of a free association of museum workers in Belarus and operating in accordance with the current Constitution of the Republic of Belarus, the Law of the Republic of Belarus «On Public Associations» and the Code of Professional Ethics of the International Council Museums «ICOM».
For the first time the representation of Belarus in ICOM International was registered in 1999, at the same time the state registration of the Belarusian Committee of the International Council of Museums "ICOM" in Belarus took place with the support and assistance of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Belarus, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus and the National Commission for UNESCO. In 2006, the public association was re-registered, a new Charter was adopted, but the main philosophy and mission, as well as goals and objectives remained unchanged.
The main goals and objectives of ICOM Belarus are to promote the further development of national museum activities, a fuller and deeper understanding of the national and world cultural achievements by the Belarusian people, as well as the development of international cultural and humanitarian ties.
ICOM Belarus operates by the following methods:
- ensures the implementation of the interests of the International Council of Museums «ICOM» in Belarus
- cooperates with national and international organizations that have relations with museums and museum professions, as well as with national committees of the International Council of Museums «ICOM» in other countries
- provides assistance to Belarusian museums with necessary information and advice on museum activities
- represents the interests of its members in the main headquarters of the International Council of Museums «ICOM»
- organizes and participates in conferences, congresses and meetings on museum activities and culture
- promotes achievements of national historical and cultural heritage in the Republic of Belarus and beyond.